It’s been just over 2 weeks since we last checked in with our bees. We wanted to make sure everyone was settled in, that the queen was healthy and that brood was successfully becoming worker bees. The frames were all lined up properly again, which supports my earlier suspicions that a certain unwelcome someone was in our hive that first week we installed the package.
Again, after opening we saw that there was some burr comb. It was still quite soft and easy to remove. I know I’ve said this before but these bees are so very docile. When we took our beekeeping class you could definitely tell when the bees were getting agitated by the buzzing they made. Ours never get over a very mild hum.
The queen is now laying eggs in the all of the brood box frames except for one on the very outside. This frame is all new brood. There is some capped brood and the uncapped cells were filled with larvae and eggs. But we weren’t done, we wanted to find the queen.
Of course she was on the very last frame. You can see her just right of center. She’s very easy to spot – black with a white dot.